JFK Sibling Park
The JFK Sibling Park at the Montreal Children’s Hospital provides siblings of patients in acute care a safe haven. This fully subsidized program helps alleviate the financial stress of extra childcare costs and is often credited with keeping families together during their most difficult moments.
With professional childcare workers by their side, siblings can play freely, enjoy arts and crafts and make new friends. They are engaged in games and activities and are assisted with homework, to help maintain routine in their lives as their families go through trying times.
The JFK Sibling Park enables bonding time for everyone and allows siblings to feel included in the care of their new baby. This is an innovative and holistic approach to caring for sick children and their families.
- The JFK Sibling park predominantly serves siblings of NICU patients (34.9%)
- The park also welcomes siblings from other in-patient units in the hospital
- The JFK Sibling Park has served over 350 children since opening
- Peak visiting hours are Saturday and Sunday between 1 and 3 pm
- Children remain in the JFK Sibling Park for 2 hours, on average
- Holiday parties, Halloween, Sibling Birthday Parties, and Discharge Days are celebrated with activities, food, and family at the JFK Sibling Park
“The service you provide to parents with children in the NICU – and to their siblings- is absolutely appreciated! You help make what is one of the most stressful situations possible in a family’s life a bit easier to live through, and for that, we THANK YOU!”
“Ca nous a sauvé la vie, cette service nous a quasiment sauvé la vie!”
“I would like to thank the whole team of JFK Foundation who provided this useful service. I really appreciate you taking care of my girls while we spend time with our little baby. You all guys are wonderful and already providing the best care that I can expect as a parent. Once again thank you so much for providing us such a wonderful service!”
“Personnel très aimable et chaleureux. Les enfants sont contents de passer leur temps à ce service de garde. Beaucoup d’activités proposées pour occuper les enfants. Un très beau soutien pour les parents également, ce qui leur permet de passer plus de temps avec leur enfant en soins. Merci beaucoup!”